Monday, November 17, 2008

Opening your imagination...

Yesterday my friend Toni and I went to this huge park neither of us had been to yet. Walking into it reminded me of PA. When we got in a ways I closed my eyes and the smell of the trees this time of year brought back memories. I could imagine I was at Lutherlin, Cooks forest or the woods down behind the freshman lot at clarion. I wish I had my camera because the leaves were amazing! Magenta, orange, bright yellow this was fall in western PA. It reminded me so much of home. We came to a lake and sat down for a picnic. I made PB&J and brought apples and juice. It was so relaxing. There were so many paths to follow… paved roads, artistic stone walk ways and dirt paths leading in every direction. We found ourselves in the woods where the filming of a Chinese movie was taking place. We watched for a bit and Toni even spoke to the actors. They were really nice. A few yards away was an open lake surrounded by a stone walk way and a bridge leading out to a large gazebo in the middle of the lake. I could have sat there all day soaking in the colors and the listening to the music that was coming from some other part of the park. I started to sketch. I have never sketched anything in my life, but I have been finding release in so many other things, I thought why not. I have found release and comfort through singing, through writing, through dancing, through walking and praying, why not try drawing. It felt good to sketch; although I can not say what I drew was any good. I don’t think that was the point though.

After a while I heard an accordion and memories of Mark playing at Aunt Danettes filled my mind. The Adults gathered on the back porch singing old songs and laughing. I can see my GG singing along and at some point dancing. I think she loved to dance.

There was a giant statue, maybe a building, kind of like a space needle in park that we were trying to get to, but never seemed to find.

As we continued through the park we spotted some older folks playing clarinets and flutes. Some of them were singing. I remember trying to learn the clarinet when I was younger. I was never good at it. These men were amazing. They spotted us and pulled us into there group. They played Adel Vice, O Susanna and a few other widely know English songs. When they didn’t know the words they sang a lot of La’s in the tune of whatever the instrumentalists were playing.

When we left them we walk a fair bit and explored parts of the park that not many people go off the beaten path. In the more private areas we found many couples trying to find a private spot in the park to be alone… private spot in china is next to impossible.

On our way out we walked through the zoo and a wedding couple taking pictures by one of the many lakes in the park.

We left the park and headed for the beach. We ended up on beach 1, but needed to get to beach to so we started walking. On our way we saw an old German castle on the coast, painted mint green! We walked past a college stadium with familiar band sounds and cheering coming from within the walls. When we reached our beach we walked up the board walk and spotted a guy making a huge heart in the sand out of stones. He wrote some characters inside. It made me smile. We ended up having dinner at this restaurant that over looked the water. We sat on the upper deck and watched the sunset as we talked and had coffee.

It was a really fun day. I was excited when I got to use the little Chinese I did know to communicate with the locals. I am really feeling challenged and stretched; both are necessity in my life.

Well, I think I have written enough for now. I will try to do this more often for you so you can continue to have a taste of life here.

No comments: